Friday, February 26, 2010

The Perfect Loaf of Banana Bread

Weight: 153.6 (down .6 lbs or 6.4 lbs from the beginning!)


I don't know about you but I love banana bread, I mean I LOVE banana bread. For the last couple of years I have been desperately searching for a healthy recipe that does not sacrifice taste. Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have found the perfect loaf of banana bread!

This blueberry banana bread will blow you away. It is so moist, delicious, filling and get this... not one drop of butter or oil in it! It's whole wheat, it's flax-y, it's low-calorie, it's low-fat, it's high fiber, it's healthy, it's amazing!



Since I have discovered this recipe about a month ago, I have been poping 2 piece in the toaster every morning for breakfast and having it with 1/2 a cup of yogurt and I can honestly say it keeps me full until lunch... a good 4 hours!

Bust out those old, bruised bananas and eat your heart out people!

I suggest making 2 loaves (double the recipe) and freezing one, it thaws beautifully and toasted in the morning = bliss!

Blueberry Walnut Banana Bread
Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine

1 ripe banana

3/4 cup flaxseed, ground 
2 egg whites 
1/3 cup honey 
1 cup milk 
1 tsp lemon juice 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp sea salt 
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour 
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk banana, flax, egg whites, honey, milk and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, salt and flours.
  3. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and combine. Gently fold in blueberries and walnuts.
  4. Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 45 - 50 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).
  5. Cool on a cooling rack before slicing and enjoying!
Makes 1 loaf
About 14 slices per loaf




The Skinny (per slice):
Calories: 150; Total Fat: 5g; Sodium: 105mg; Carbs: 23g; Fiber: 3.3g; Protein: 5g


What do you think? Let me know with a comment below! 

No comments: